Sunday, May 18, 2014

Musical Sundays

It is a retro day. One of those days when I have spent a little too much time on Youtube. You know how it goes. First you listen to the original. Then you think someone must have sung a cover. Then you listen to five other versions of the same song. And then finally zero down on one of them and download it for later reference. Or for obsessive repetitive listening till S hides the Bose. Yes, I have a lot of free time nowadays and no, I am not doing anything constructive. Although the song below is not a recent find, I absolutely love it. Did you know even Katy Perry has done a cover for Hey Jude? If I were you, I'd avoid it though.


The other song that is on repeat, and this one is not retro, is the Karen O song from the movie Her. I found the movie really really odd. For a woman to understand how a guy falls in love with an operating system is a bit of a stretch. On the other hand, the guys I know loved the movie and associated with it. Probably it is a good deal you know. Switch the darned thing off when it says 'we need to talk'. Anyway, so this song. Karen O performed it in the Oscars and that's when I heard it the first time. Love the lyrics and the song.


I also have Baby Doll on my playlist, which has a sort of inappropriate usage of Jhandu balm. Poor makers of the Zandu balm. If this was the US of A, there was a good case for a multi million dollar lawsuit. I must also admit that that 'Saani Saani' is also there on the playlist somewhere. That song has the best lyrics. The best. Ever. Water is blue. Sun is up. Get drunk on Malibu shots. Like I said, the best. But the thing is, that at home, S and I tend to dance to such songs only. Really difficult to get your groove on with Elvis crooning can't help falling in love with you.

Oh while talking to a friend today, realized I have become too old to receive drunk calls in the night. I mean Saturday night. You got to be partying somewhere (sipping on wine in front of the TV) and then you look at your watch and it is scary late (10 pm). So, you scurry to the bed and count sheep till you sleep. And your friends tend to call you early in the morning (00:05 am) to say 'Suuuuuuuuuu!'. Alas, the phone just doesn't ring a bell anymore! Not at that time atleast. :)

Okay one last song for the day. This one's my absolute favourite from the school days. Our music lessons were spent singing this and many other Dylan and other equally awesome songs. Yes, we were cool like that. I do remember that one of our music teachers had a dimple fetish. No, not in a creepy way. But, kids with dimples got more marks in music class. On hindsight, actually that was quite weird. All you had to was smile and sing and have a dimple. No surprises that I did not do very well. Singing and smiling at the same time? Really! Good old school days. :)

No comments: