Monday, April 26, 2010

That sinkin' feeling!

Suddenly the only kind of time I know is free time. I know I know..my last post had an entire list of 'Things to do to kill time peacefully'..but that list also has an expiry date. Can't say I didn't see this coming. I mean what was I expecting anyway. MBA check. Partying check. Traveling check. Spending time with friends...never enough..but yes, check for the time being. So once my bucket list (which in this case was a list of to-do things before going home for good) ran out, I knew I had to board that train. Good old New Delhi-Patna Rajdhani. With its motley bunch of crass politicians and their hooligan sidekicks. Yes, I had them for company and no, I was not abducted.

Its been around fifteen days here, and the strange bit is I took this long to settle down. Settle down at home..I know it sounds quite ridiculous. But its the truth. Almost a decade away from home has made me a stranger to everything familiar. A couple of days or a week entitles you to guest-like treatment. But more than a month at home is the real deal. So I groped around for familiarity in the beginning..got psyched out..psyched out my folks..cribbed like the world was coming to an end..sulked...I was a 'moron' in every sense of the word. I wonder sometimes why do parents put up with their kids. Kids who can be such a pain! And then I settled down. And then it all sinks in. It fits. Blazing heat. Electricity cuts. Water cuts. Fights with dad. Awful jokes with dad. Ma's school. Ma's cleanliness fetish. Relatives. Marriage. Sermons. Don't know when did I forget that this is home. This is where I belong. This is who I am.

This post of mine has taken a serious turn. That was not the intention. If only I did things by design! :) Now to fill up the empty hours in a day, I have started taking swimming lessons. Anyone who remotely knows me would know my love for water. Last I took lessons..some six odd years back..I had managed to drown in six feet of water. Thrice. To my instructor's utter horror and my fellow swimmers' utter joy. She did save me each time. I think I had increased the membership of that swimming place..for my time slot atleast. I was such a sight..shouting 'Help!' the moment my feet couldn't touch base.

Now fast forward to New year 2010. We were in the sea wearing life jackets. There was NO way anyone could drown. Good ol' me had to down a couple of beers to let others convince me to take that ride...and still I was pretty sure i was heading towards a watery grave. Then Rishikesh happened a month back. My indignant friends had to row upstream in Ganges because I was twirling in the eddy and refused to swim towards the boat (I was wearing a life-jacket again!).

The point is I am really scared of water. So scared that the thought of swimming scares the living daylights out of me. I guess the pics make it evident enough! So I thought how much worse can it get. And so the swimming lessons here (Yes, for all you prejudiced folks...Patna has clubs with swimming pools in it!). I am learning. Floating. Splashing everyone around me doing what I think is swimming, while they shield themselves from the aqua-attack. Instructor says I am doing good. She is a kind lady. Six days down and many more to go. I hope not to give up this time. They say its child's play. And I am a hopeless optimist. :)

 Its been a while since I last blogged. So the long meandering post. Missing the life that was. The friends I adore to bits and pieces. Liking the 'home'ly feeling. Looking forward to the new life, which is still a month away. The past, present and future. We live in each one of them everyday..in a round robin manner. Way past the home curfew hour. More later!

11 comments:

Tamanna Mishra said...

Look who's back!!

And you are so, so right on dealing with home after the precious first week passes. LOL! It becomes too much to handle, and I also totally understand the sermons on marriage.. Wait till you are done with it, you'll actually miss it because that's when the extended khandaan sense of humour will be unleashed on you and you will wonder why they can't just keep talking about marriage. LOL!

And yayyyy@ the Indiblogger rank. Proud of you Suravi Shome! Totally well deserved! :D

And I love water, but I can't for the life of me swim. Where did you go for your first swimming lesson btw? International school ka pool or Maurya or Patna Club? :D :D

divyanka said...

I would have slapped you had if this post ended in the same vein that it started...good that it took a lighter turn towards the end...you are allowed to mope since Patna( don't get me wrong, I love it!) can kill your soul but please don't be sinking on us again...if at all you have to, go sink in that darned pool...that you can come out of...anyway...not a long time left...just hang in there my little one :)

Tamanna Mishra said...

Btw that second pic of yours. One word. CLASSIC! You beat me there hands down woman :P

Sur said...

@Tammy - New place called Slim n Trim :D :D in PAtliputra..Indoor pool hai n all ladies..in a place like Patna those are big advantages!

Yeah have been away too long..then realised I miss posting :)

For the pic and the rank..thank you thank you.. :)

@Divs - I had this feeling that u might want to kill me if i wrote anything remotely sad.

Not going to sink on you two ever again..promise hai ekdum :) :*

Soumaya said...

:- ) :-) the second pic is too good ! i can guarantee once u do swimming for one moth u will simply love it :-)
and my experience says same is true fr the the two month long stay in home after a long gap !!

Tamanna Mishra said...

Of course! I know about that Trim and Slim place.. Riya Sinha's mom's grand gym and parlour and all.. Kitty party aunty log ka hang out :P

Aate aate mohan sweets ka gulaab jamun kha lena kisi din.. :P

Enjoy your vacation girl!

Sur said...

@Tammy - Riya Sinha ki mom ka hai?? pehle batati..hum discount maangte besharam logo ki tarah :P haan ekdum hi kitty party hangout hai :D

Bangali hai..mithai ka overdose to ghar pe aise hi chal raha hota hai..ye bhi kha lenge :P

@Shomu - I do agree :)

Ravi Shekhar said...

Great going

Enjoy and discover new ways to kill time and yes after long time you dont know what to do at home.

Sur said...

@Ravi - Dhoond rahe hai hum naye tareeke :)

When are you headed to Patna?

adzaqua said...

Wow..never knew I would connect with your blog so much! You write so well..and so many places I was thinking ki oh this happens with me too or I have thought about that..it's almost funny!

Keep blogging..will follow it religiously now! :)

Aditi

Sur said...

@Aditi - Thanks :) Hows the internship coming along?